background

Friday, April 15, 2011

DIY Headboard

"Y'all ready for this??" (Que JOCK JAMS! and que the Kingwood HS Band circa 2000) :)  Yes, I was in band in middle and high school, but that's beside the point...Make your own headboard!  Super easy and it really creates a focal point in any room.  I am making this headboard for the guest room that is being re-styled as we speak.  Once this baby is done, all I will have to do is hang up the fabric art and the free printable art project that was done earlier in the week.  I also painted some mirrors white that are also from Ikea for $2.99 a piece!  I painted 6 of them and they will be hung up on the wall too.

Ok, back to the DIY headboard.  I'm sure you have seen a few different ways to do it, I don't know, maybe you haven't, but I am going to show you how to make one on a $20 budget!  That's right, folks.  You got Mrs. Cheaperson talking here and I didn't have much left to spend on this last project for the room.

Here are the few things that you will need:
  1. Fabric
  2. Quilting batting
  3. 2 pieces of 1x2x8 wood
  4. Staple gun
  5. 1 box of corner brackets
SO here's a little story:  Went to Joann Fabrics and found the fabric I wanted.  Since this is the guest room, I didn't need something super luxurious, plus I had to stay in budget!  I found this beautiful green fabric that will go PERFECT in the room and it was only $3.99 a yard (And you need 3 yards).  Deal!! But then I got a discount because it was the end of the roll, so it was only $3.58! DOUBLE DEAL!  Then the quilting batting was on sale for $7.00.  Then I went to Lowe's and looked at the plywood and the cheapest one I could find was $11! Nope, need something cheaper.  So I found these 1x2x8 boards and they were like 92 inches long and I needed 58 inches.  So Lowe's will give you your first 2 cuts for free!  Well I needed 2 pieces of wood and guess how much they cost a piece??  $.98!!  So a total of: $2.08 with tax.  Since I am making a queen headboard, you need them to cut it down to about 58 inches in length.  When he cut the 92 inch piece of wood, he gave me the left over wood.  You will end up using those left over pieces for the side pieces of the headboard!! Whoo Hoo!!

First step is to take the 4 pieces of wood and, using your brackets, make the rectangular shape of the headboard.


Once you have the corner brackets in place and the headboard is now formed, the next step is to lay out your quilting batting on the floor and lay the headboard frame on top of it.  Cut the batting around the frame leaving about 1 to 1 1/2 inches on each side.


Then you'll take your staple gun and pull the batting taut and staple into the wood.


Once your done, it'll look like this:



Now I want to mention you can use as much padding as you want and make it nice and thick if you want.  Like I said, this is just the guest room, more for the look :)  Next step is to lay your fabric on the floor and then lay the headboard frame on top of it and repeat the same exact step as above.  Make sure you pull the fabric nice and tight.  Make sure you run the iron over the fabric before putting it into place.  You don't want wrinkles on your new headboard, do you?! :)

Once you finish that step, this is what you got:



Here it is on the wall:


LOVE IT!!  Especially with the colors of the wall....**Sigh** In love!  Like I said earlier, all I have to do is put everything else into place and we will have the big reveal SOON!! 

TOTAL COST OF HEADBOARD:

  • Fabric = $10.74
  • Batting = $7.00
  • Wood = $2.08
GRAND TOTAL = $19.82!!!

Thanks again for reading Re-Stylin'! 

No comments:

Post a Comment